Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 14 items
Sex & Nudity
- Rated PG for mature thematic material, sensuality, language, and some violence
- A violent scene of Loretta's first time having sex (though all done under covers and not visible). Loretta is ashamed of sex and doesn't know what "horny" means. She and Doo climb in the back seat of a car, presumably to have sex. Loretta catches Doo kissing another woman in the back seat of a car.
Violence & Gore
- Doo rapes Loretta the first time they have sex.
- People are seen with guns.
- A man shoots the moonshiner.
- Loretta's father spanks her with a switch for going out with Doo all day.
- Doo slaps Loretta twice on different occations and then threatens to hit her again.
- Loretta hits Doo with her purse several times. He is seen with a bandage on his hand later.
- Doo punches a man suddenly and gets into a brawl at a bar.
- An overzealous fan rips hair from Loretta's head.
- Lesser expletives like "horny" and "oh my god".
- Repeated uses of "damn", "shit", "hell", "goddamn", and "bullshit".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- There's lots of alcohol use here. In Kentucky, lots of people drink moonshine. Doo drinks after works, on the tour bus, and while caring for his kids. Patsy Cline drinks beear while in the hospital. A man adds whiskey to his soda. Loretta takes lots of painkillers, though it unclear whether she's addicted to them.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The rape scene, plus occasional verbal and physical abuse may disturb some people.