Mommie Dearest (1981)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 10 items
Sex & Nudity
- The film is pretty disturbing and may scare children. The film was originally rated R, but re-rated PG; this was before the PG-13 rating was created.
- A couple mild sex references.
- A woman opens the shower doors, completely naked (nothing is seen except her shoulders and up) and she and a man start to kiss.
- A young woman and young man kiss in private at a barn. They then start to kiss more heavily, the boy gets on top of the girl, and starts to remove her dress. Her butt is partially seen, but they are interrupted.
Violence & Gore
- A very young girl is beaten repeatedly with a wire hanger and a can of cleanser. This is a rather long scene, very abusive and many may find it disturbing or highly unsettling. Despite this, it has become one of the iconic scenes associated with the film.
- A very young girl is verbally abused by her mother, who afterwards takes scissors to the girl's hair, cutting much of it off while yelling at her.
- As a teenager, she is slapped hard across the face several times, then viciously tackled and strangled nearly to death. This scene is at least two minutes, and the strangling is very disturbing, as it is shown realistically, and in full detail.
- One use of the word fuck (used in an aggressive manner), many other milder profanities.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Various characters drink large amounts of alcohol and smoke many cigarettes throughout the entire film.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A woman screams and abuses two young children throughout the film. An excessive amount of verbal, physical, and psychological abuse and torture may upset many viewers, and many may find it highly unsettling or even disturbing.