Dances with Wolves (1990)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 24 items
Sex & Nudity
- A man is seen naked from behind before and after bathing in a pond scaring away a native. This scene is meant to be played for laughs.
- A married couple appears to be having sex underneath a blanket in a tipi where other people are sleeping around them (no body parts are explicitly shown). A man watches them for a moment, surprised, before they notice him looking and he turns away.
- A man has sex with a woman - several minutes and more explicit.
- A wife may be grabbing her husband's penis through a blanket, though this occurs just offscreen.
- The man squats while defecating. We see his bare hip and side of buttock.
Violence & Gore
- Sioux hunters ceremonially take a bite out of the hearts of fallen prey.
- Two or three war sequences, which are intense and can include images of wounded people.
- At the very start of the film, a man is about to have his leg amputated. He lies on a cot while two operatives lean over him. Blood is splattered across his shirt. Bloody tools are seen on a rack next to the cot. The wound is shown briefly closeup, and it's graphic.
- In the first war sequence, a soldier rides across a battlefield with gunfire all around. The Union regiment charges the Confederates, and there is a major shootout. A Confederate takes aim at the soldier on horseback, but instead the Confederate is shot, and a bloody bullet hole appears on his forehead.
- A man is shot several times with arrows, including slightly bloody wounds. Later, he's scalped (offscreen), although we hear tearing flesh, and watch as the Indian who scalped him walks away with a chunk of bloody meat on his hatchet.
- Buffalo carcasses are shown bloody and flayed of skin from poachers.
- Buffalo are hunted and shot at with arrows.
- Two Indian tribes fight in a long battle sequence complete with rifles, arrows and hatchets.
- Two men are shot at with arrows, and a man is axed in the back later in the movie.
- A man's horse is shot to death with bloody wounds.
- S.O.B. is said a couple times. Jesus Christ (2) & Jesus H. Christ, shit, bastard
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Drugs: None
- Native Americans and Costner smoke from a long pipe.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of western violence, bloody images, some sexually/partial nudity and drug content.
- Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and some sexuality.
- Native Americans attack white people several times; in one scene, this is done in front of children. A man is scalped.
- Early on, a man commits suicide by shooting himself. This is only heard, but we see him put the gun against his head and start to pull the trigger.
- The battle sequences are intense and sometimes bloody.
Violence & Gore
- A wolf is shot by a group of Union Soldiers.