The Mummy (1999)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for pervasive adventure violence and some partial nudity|
Sex & Nudity
- There is some flirting between a man and a woman.
- A man and a woman kiss each other at the end of the movie.
- A woman has an affair with the antagonist.
- An Ancient Egyptian woman wears only body paint and jewelry at the beginning of the movie. Her bottom is shown, but other sensitive regions are covered. She is uncovered as having an affair when her body paint is found smudged, her husband asking angrily "who touched you?", but it's only smudged on her shoulder.
Violence & Gore
- Rick punishes Beni. Tosses a chair at him, hitting him in the back. Slams Beni onto the wall and on a table, then threatens to cut his head open with a fan blade if Beni didn't give him answers.
- Beni angrily knees Rick on his balls.
- A man is stabbed in the back. The next scene shows the man being stabbed multiple times by two people. You see this behind a curtain where only the shadows are seen.
- Violence throughout. The various mummies, crazy-men, and zombie-like beings in this movie are shot, stabbed, blown apart, and set on fire, but no blood is present.
- In the beginning, a man has his tongue cut out and is mummified alive. Another man pours a jar full of scarabs in his sarcophagus and it's mentioned later that they slowly ate him alive.
- In an uncut version, a man is hung but he doesn't die; he is seen being strangled by the rope in a few instances.
- A booby trap in a tomb spits out salt acid on diggers who try to open it, they're seen screaming in pain as their skin melts.
- A mummy is seen after the first 25 minutes of the movie. He is shown dead and still looks dead as he goes around using people's flesh to bring him back to life. Kind of like an old classic horror movie (only much more gruesome).
- A man is shown with his eyes and his tongue cut out.
- The same man who had his eyes and tongue cut out later is shown without his flesh. Still, believe it or not, there is no blood. The same thing happens with three other men.
- A man has a scarab beetle crawl under his flesh. We hear him screaming in pain as a lump moves around under his skin.
- Imhotep's arm is chopped off, and he puts it back.
- Original rating (pre-release, first edited): R
- Some mild language. Uses of God's name in vain.
- "Sons of a bitches" "bastards". Other uses.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The explorers drink and some smoke.
- A man discovers a bottle of whiskey and several characters share it, including a woman who becomes visibly tipsy, swaying and becoming rather loopy.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The image of Imhotep might be frightening to some viewers.
Violence & Gore
- A man is eaten alive by scarab beetles (off-camera,not shown). We hear him screaming in agony as the beetles devour them.