Shakespeare in Love (1998)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 14 items
|MPAA||Rated R for sexuality|
Sex & Nudity
- Viola tells Will that she is a virgin.
- The movie is in part about an adulterous affair.
- A couple is shown undressing and making love (or starting to) on three occasions. They are seen in various states of undress, kissing passionately. In all three, Gwyneth Paltrow's breasts and nipples are shown clearly as well as the man's torso and nipples. In one of the scenes, the sex is implied by the sound of the creaking bed.
- A character is shown in two sex scenes with different partners (fully clothed in both). In one scene, the woman is on top thrusting violently and explicity while panting heavily. In the other the man is thrusting from behind. While no actual nudity, it is still quite explicit. The scene is quite lengthy, however, it is more for comical effect.
- Many passionate kisses.
Violence & Gore
- We hear that a character has been stabbed to death.
- A man is shown being tortured, he is tied up and his shoes are raised and lowered over burning coals. He is threatened with having his nose and ears cut off with a knife.
- One man threatens another with a knife at his throat.
- There are two sword fights. The first turns into a brawl in which people also punch and kick as well as hit one another with wooden props. The second is between only two men with sword, dagger, and foil. One man ends up with a bloody wound on his head.
- A boy teases a cat with a live mouse held by the tail. We hear sounds implying that the mouse was fed to the cat. This character is presented as being obsessed with and attracted to bloody violence.
- The S-word is used twice along with a couple of slang anatomical terms and some Elizabethan swearing.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Some drinking. Characters are shown drunk.
- There are three scenes set in a tavern where drinking and drunkenness ensue.
Frightening & Intense Scenes