Metal Gear Solid (1998 Video Game)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
Sex & Nudity
- A man gets tortured while he is shirtless. A female touches his chest and compliments him.
- The final battle is a hand-to-hand fight between Snake and Liquid. They are both shirtless.
- There are a few references of Meryl's buttocks.
- A man's codename is Deepthroat (but it is referencing to the Watergate Scandal informant, rather than the sexual term).
- Johnny Sasaki is seen nude in the US version. He is faced down on the floor.(He has a blur around his butt area); however, he has underwear in the Japanese version.
Violence & Gore
- A man talks about killing his father with his bare hands.
- A character admits to another character that he and his sister are not real siblings. He explains that he killed her parents a long time ago and couldn't kill her. He decided to raise her instead. He finally tells the character that every time he looks at his sister, he is filled with extreme regret.
- Overall there is violence throughout but it is not very graphic and contains few depictions of animated blood
- A hallway has many people that appear dead on the floor, there is some blood.
- The game contains violence. Although the game is a stealth-based game (meaning that they want the player to avoid detection), there is still a lot of gun violence. In boss fights, the player has no choice but to engage in battle and kill the enemy.
- A man is implied to have been electrocuted to death during a torture session. Likewise, a man's arm was implied to have been broken during the same procedure.
- Boss deaths include: being eaten alive by ravens(occurs mostly off screen) shot with a sniper rifle with blood pools and bullet wounds visible getting crushed by a tank with blood pool leftover and explosions.
- A dead body is seen with about 3 maggots crawling on it's face.
- One man has his hand cut off by a sword and another man has his whole arm cut off by a laser.
- Words like Damn, Hell, Crap, Jesus and Bastard is used in this game.
- Many saying's of "Damn" and a few of "Bastard" and other four letter profanities, but none of the "F" word.
- While not exactly a swear word in the regular sense, one of the characters, Vulcan Raven, calls Revolver Ocelot, a Russian, "General Ivan", which is a derogatory insult to someone who is Russian or of Russian Descent.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Prescription drugs is mentioned in the game.
- You have the choice to smoke Cigarettes anytime in this game.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- As with other Metal Gear games, deep philosophical themes are throughout. These themes include identity crisis, government control, PTSD, effects of war, and the concept of nature vs nurture.
- Boss battles and battles that occur when the player is spotted. can be somewhat intense.
- Suggested MPAA rating-R for violence,language,and emotional thematic material.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are some scenes in the game that can be depressing, such as the death of Sniper Wolf, Gray Fox, and Meryl (Meryl's death is optional).