The Cell (2000)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 34 items
|MPAA||Rated R for bizarre violence and sexual images, nudity and language|
Sex & Nudity
- A man recounts a story to a woman about how he tried to get a child rapist convicted and sent to prison for assaulting a little girl.
- A scantily-clad woman sensually kisses a man as a trap in order to have him incapacitated.
- This movie contains sexually explicit material with female nudity and sexually related dialogue, abuse, violence and torture.
- There is nude female corpse, fully nude, even her labia can be seen for a second, as a man bleaches it completely white so that it can resemble a doll.
- A young boy is forced by his abusive, drunk father to look at a naked woman's crotch. (we don't actually see between her legs)
- A scene depicts a collection of doll-like, corpse-like women in dioramas behind glass panels, attached to crude machinery that jerks them about in grotesque, sadomasochistic, sexual poses while they moan and groan, and one of them is bound to a dentist chair with her mouth pried open. Several of these topless women appear in various states of sadistic torture, with hooks, rings, collars and other bondage items, with sexually suggestive overtones.
- A woman whispers that she spit her son out of her 'hole'.
Violence & Gore
- A young boy is shown being baptized, but it goes horribly wrong when he has a seizure and nearly drowns.
- A woman gently puts a young boy out of his misery by drowning him in a bath, as he is bleeding to death from a stab wound. Not as violent as it sounds.
- A corpse is found by a river bed, wrapped in plastic and covered in ants.
- The killer forcibly places a spiked collar on a woman's neck, which causes her to bleed.
- A woman, who was tricked into thinking she ran over a dog with her car, is briefly strangled into unconsciousness by the killer when she attends to the dog and is then imprisoned in the killer's cellar.
- A woman stabs a man in the back with a knife, some blood is shown.
- Being a serial killer horror film, there is plenty of sadistic and bizarre violence and images throughout the movie, especially when the characters start to go inside the killer's mind via dream technology.
- The killer's methods of murdering his victims include putting them in a glass tank which periodically showers them with water and stops, then turns on and doesn't stop until they drown, all while he masturbates to the footage. The killer then bleaches the corpses to resemble dolls and masturbates over them whilst hanging himself above them via chains attached to piercings in his back.
- A young boy is verbally and physically abused by his father. He is hit, cursed at, threatened, beat with a belt and burned with a hot iron.
- Several uses of fuck, shit, and goddammit. One use of faggot.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Stargher's father is seen drinking and smoking.
- Catherine is shown smoking a what appears to be a joint.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A creepy moment where a giant and rubbery-looking female bodybuilder is slowly creeping silently around behind Catherine and ambushing her.
- One particularly distressing moment is when the scenes of child abuse occurs, with the father beating his son with a belt, calling him a "faggot" and burning him with an iron for playing with dolls.
- The film is centered upon a schizophrenic serial killer and the journey into his mind to find clues to his next victim's location, and as a result the film has extremely intense and bizarre moments and surreal violence.
- A boy's face and voice transform into a frightening werewolf-like entity.
- Several scenes of women screaming and crying for help while trapped in a tank rapidly filling with water.
- A particularly frightening scene is when Catherine is confronted by Stargher's version of himself as a king in his torturous mental kingdom. He, with purple curtains attached to his back, advances down the steps of a throne and screams at Catherine: "WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!"
- Stargher transforms into a demonic-looking figure with horns and several other frightening incarnations of himself.
Sex & Nudity
- A man masturbates over a female corpse on a meta tray while suspended above the body by metal hooks. It clearly shows the hooks in his skin as he is raised above the body. The ejaculate crosses frame as the man climaxes in a close up of his grimaced, screaming face. The scene is protracted and very disturbing.
Violence & Gore
- A horse is sliced into multiple glass slides. Still alive, its pulsating organs are shown in cross-section (not as gross as it sounds, but could be disturbing for sensitive viewers). The scene is more bizarre and surreal rather than gory.
- A man is tortured by having a hole cut into his abdomen, and then a man slips his hand inside the wound to rip out his intestines and have them slowly pulled out of his body on a crank while he is awake and screaming.
- A man is shot in the foot with an arrow. His nipples are graphically ripped from his chest by his piercings, and he is then stabbed and killed with a sword through his heart (quite bloody).
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The majority of the film is set inside a projection of the killer's mind. The entry sequence into this world is shown as a psychedelic montage with very fast shapes and colours. The depiction of his mind features many ornate sets featuring stylised versions of his tortured victims, a recreation of child abuse, torture, dismembered and bloody animals. Although very stylish, the violence implied and depicted in this world is very intense.
- During his final confrontation with Catherine in the dream world, Carl manifests as a terrifying reptilian-like entity with scaly features and jagged teeth.
- A woman floating motionless in a tank of water suddenly and violently begins reflexively jerking and twitching.
- A young boy is willingly drowned in a pool.