City of God (2002)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 28 items
|MPAA||Rated R for strong brutal violence, sexuality, drug content and language|
Sex & Nudity
- In a scene a nurse is having sex with a police officer. It's been implicated, no nudity is shown.
- In another scene shortly after a women is giving another women advice on "how to be smutty" she tells her to heat up a banana and have sex with it while her husband takes her from behind.
- In a hotel, couples are having sex are briefly shown nude. Breasts and buttocks can be seen
- A scene implies rape upon a woman. The camera briefly shows a man thrusting, no nudity
Violence & Gore
- Many storeowners/banks are robbed during the movie. All the victims are threatened to obey commands from the robbers.
- Fast cuts of chickens being cleaned as part of food preparation. Incisions on and innards of dead birds shown interspersed with footage of living stock. No slaughter (killing) shown
- Adults and children brandishing firearms almost non-stop.
- Gangs of children and teens openly carry firearms in the streets. Many shootings, most of them involving minors and young people as victims and/or shooters. They tend to be brief or bloodless, however
- A young man becomes upset and starts to put his hands on his girlfriend while they argue about their relationship. No striking or shoving, the tension defuses quickly.
- Armed robbery of a hotel
- Domestic violence: Following the discovery of a betrayal, a man murders his wife with a shovel. He is partially shown swinging multiple times, with dull impacts overheard. She is shown screaming and crying out, just before (offscreen)
- A character is shot multiple times. His bullet-riddled body in a pool of blood is shown for over 10 seconds
- A young boy is shown on a violent rampage with a firearm, shooting down many people inside a building. In the aftermath, he is then shown laughing maniacally as he shoots different people during a montage that conveys the passage of time as he reaches adulthood.
- Two children are shot in the foot, one of them is then shot in the head (strong bloody detail, this scene will upset some viewers of how shocking it is)
- A young boy is forced to single out and kill another boy, using a gun.
- A scene of public hazing/abuse of a man under threat of a firearm. See: Sex & Nudity.
- A couple is attacked in the street by a gang. They are dragged to an alley, where the woman is inferred to be raped by the gang leader, who makes derogatory comments and shoots a gun at her incapacitated date. The couple are shown terrorized, sobbing, suffering, etc. The scene is depicted as fragmented, violent, and frightening
- Major shoot-out in a public street at night, with many automatic weapons fired and several innocent bystander casualties sustained in the surrounding community. Survivors shown sobbing over the fallen. Several dead bodies are visible. Mild to moderately bloody, but with dark camera angles at night and little actual gore shown
- Some brief, bloodless beatings. A few of which occur offscreen.
- 64 uses of "fuck", 18 uses of "shit", 7 uses of "asshole", a few uses of "bitch", 3 uses of "hell", A few of "Christ", "God", and "Jesus", 3 uses of "faggot", 4 uses of "damn", 3 uses of "nigger", 1 use of "slut", "whore", and "prick". One scene with brief but vulgar sexual dialogue.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Numerous characters (Including children) are seen casually smoking joints or asking for them. Cocaine is snorted a few times
- Characters are sometimes seen handling, discussing, using, packaging or selling either marijuana or cocaine
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A violent film due to it's setting, characters and whole story.
- Corpses of many dead bodies are shown in the movie. Can be very disturbing movie for minor viewers.
- The foot-shooting and shovel-killing scenes could be hard to watch. A sympathetic character is shot in the torso.
Sex & Nudity
- In another scene it's indirectly expressed Rocket (Alexandre Rodrigues) have sex with Marina (Graziella Moretto). No nudity is shown during the scene.
- A scene with brief frontal male nudity after a character is chased out of a room for having sex with another man's wife (we see him escaping covering himself and borrows his young brother his clothing). During the same scene his genitals are briefly shown.
- In a public space, a man is hazed and forced to strip under threat of a gunman. He is slurred as a "faggot". Shown in brief style underwear. Knockout Ned is forced by Lil'Ze to strip for his own amusement.