My Soul to Take (2010)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 41 items
|MPAA||Rated R for strong bloody violence, and pervasive language including sexual references|
Sex & Nudity
- No sex scenes nor nudity, but some sexual jokes and references.
- On two occasions a teenage boy asks a girl to perform oral sex on him, using crude language. The first time she refuses, saying "what about my dog biting your genitals off and I'll bury them in the garden?"; the boy answers that she "will need a large garden". The second time, she seems to accept doing it but actually tricks him and runs away.
- A teenage boy is shown changing and standing in the shower, but no nudity is shown.
- A 15-year-old girl is pregnant and this is often referred to in dialogues. She narrates how the father of the baby kind of forced her to have sex with him, making her feel pressured and ashamed.
- A teenage boy makes a crude joke about being sexually attracted to another teenage boy's mother.
Violence & Gore
- Several people, including teenagers, are killed in brutal ways throughout the movie. The violence is very bloody, and sometimes graphic, although not exceptionally gory.
- A man grabs a girl from behind and slices her neck open with a knife; blood copiously pours from her mouth and neck and pools at her feet, as the killer keeps stabbing her in the chest. The girl's bloody body, with the gaping neck wound visible, is later found by a girl.
- A man shoves a knife into the chest of a teenage boy. Blood pours from the boy's mouth and from the gaping hole in his chest; the man drops him to the ground and we see him bleeding. We later see the boy's dead body being loaded into a body bag.
- A man finds his pregnant wife in a pool of blood on the bed (she appears dead). The man is then seen with blood covering his shirt and face, attempting to stab himself in the stomach as a little girl watches; he lunges at the girl with the intent to kill her with a knife, but is shot in the back before reaching her. A doctor injects adrenaline in him with a large syringe; the man wakes up and says that he heard a voice in his head telling him to kill his family. He shoots two men and is about to shoot a woman, but is shot again; one of the two men he shot is unharmed due to his bulletproof vest, the other was shot in the head and died. The killer lies on the floor with several bloody bullet holes in his chest, and is then shot in the head. Then the killer, presumed dead and covered in blood and cuts, is taken in an ambulance, where he wakes up, grabs something and cuts a woman's throat (blood pours from the wound); the driver swerves, the injured woman gasps for air and the ambulance runs off the road. The vehicle is on fire but the occupants are already out, unharmed. The killer is presumed alive after the accident.
- A man rushes toward a teenage girl, her feet are seen being lifted off the ground, and we hear the slicing sounds and the girl choking with blood (offscreen), while blood sprays on her feet and pools on the ground, drenching the leaves; her body is seen being dragged away, and is later found with blood on it.
- A man chases a teenage boy and attacks him, slamming his head into a metal pole, and then stabs him in the stomach (we see blood as the man tackles the boy). He then drops him in a river. His corpse in later found on the shore of the river, covered in bloody scratches and cuts.
- A police officer holds a gun to a teenage boy who is holding a bloody knife (his hands are covered in blood). The boy drops the knife, and we see a dead woman lying in a pool of blood. The police officer asks the boy if he killed her; he says he didn't do it. Then the man starts handcuffing the teen boy, but is suddenly stabbed in the back by a man. The boy fights with the killer, who repeatedly tries to slice him with a knife. The boy crashes onto a table, then kicks the killer and drops a vase on his head; he then grabs the police officer's gun and fires at the killer several times, but always misses. The killer attacks him again, and the boy has two bloody cuts in his back. The killer then knocks a girl, who falls unconscious to the ground, and keeps attacking the boy with a knife, but then he hears a noise and runs away. The boy chases him with a large knife in his hand. Then he slowly opens a closet door, and a teenage boy stumbles out and falls to the ground; he has a large bloody wound on his chest. He gasps and dies as the other boy watches. Another boy arrives, and after a talk the two have a fight. One of them punches and kicks the other while threatening him with a knife. They struggle, and one of them is stabbed by the other in the stomach, dying shortly after.
- An angered teenage boy shouts at a girl, as he chases her through a wooded area; the girl stumbles and after standing up appears to have trouble walking (we see her back covered in blood, but there are no visible cuts).
- A teenage boy has a vision of a dead girl; she has a gaping bloody wound on her neck, and is drenched in the blood that came out from her face and mouth.
- A teenage boy punches another boy in the stomach, knocking him to the ground, and then punches a third boy in the arm.
- A man shouts at a teenage boy, and then punches him in the torso; we later see a large bruise on the boy's stomach.
- A teenage boy slaps another boy in the face.
- A woman slaps a teenage girl.
- A girl punches a boy hard; his nose bleeds. She then hits and kicks him.
- A teenage boy stumbles and falls into the shallow bank of a river, as he runs to avoid a group of police officers.
- A teenage boy wearing a bird-costume terrorizes his classroom, then spews a vomit-like green substance onto another boy, who punches him. The boy in the costume then pulls a cord that releases a brown fluid from the costume's behind, implying defecation. The other boy hits and kicks him, knocking him to the ground, until he is pulled away by the teacher.
- A teenage boy tells another that he had killed a man accidentally; he describes how he had fought back after the man started beating him, and how the man fell down the stairs and broke his neck (we do not see it happening).
- A man and a woman discuss the murder of a teenage boy's mother with him.
- A teenage girl explains to a teenage boy that his father did not die in a car accident, but was a serial killer that killed their mother.
- A teenage girl tells a woman that the bodies of three dead teenagers had been found.
- A teenage girl tells another girl that a boy had killed people in the past and spent time in mental hospitals.
- A boy tells a woman that he had to "bury a friend"; the woman asks him if he had killed a person, and the boy says he was only burying a crow "puppet" that had been "killed".
- A woman watches a television programme where we see a man grabbing a person from behind and holding a knife above their head; the television report explains that the man in the video is a serial killer, who has not been caught yet.
- On multiple occasions, teenagers discuss how they need to fear for their lives because a serial killer had been murdered on the day of their births, and might come back to stalk and kill them.
- A girl instructs a teenage boy to punch two others with varying levels of force.
- A teenage boy jokingly tells another that he is going to burn down a house with a man inside.
- A boy gives a speech to a classroom of teenagers describing how California Condors "eat death," including corpses crawling with maggots.
- We see a flock of crows attacking a group of children in a movie on TV.
- 1 use of c*nt in the opening scene.
- About 51 F-words and its derivatives, 1 obscene hand gesture, 4 sexual references, 20 scatological terms, 11 anatomical terms, 19 mild obscenities, 1 derogatory term for mentally handicapped, 1 religious profanity, 2 religious exclamations.
- Name-calling (snot nose kids, dumb, lunatic, brain bomb, morbid, pervert, jockstrap, Sasquatch, fat, stupid, bully, clueless).
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A girl smokes what appears to be a marijuana cigarette or hand rolled cigarette in a bathroom, as other teenage girls watch.
- A man drinks a can of beer.
- A woman tells a man that she believes a teenage boy was drunk, and the man says the boy was in his "12 steps".
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- My Soul to Take can be intense or scary for young viewers. The body count is high, people die in bloody ways, and there are many jump scenes. Some moments are dramatic.
- When the bare stomach of a pregnant woman is on screen, we also see the outline of the baby's hand pressing through the mother's belly's skin; the same woman is later seen dead in a pool of blood, but the baby is still alive and it's seen moving inside her; some people might find those two scenes gross and/or disturbing.