Breaking Bad (2008–2013)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 47 items
Sex & Nudity
- During the first episode a woman is seen completely topless with bare breasts exposed through an open window as she throws a man's clothes out the window. This scene is very brief, lasting only a few seconds.
- Some implied sex(people lying under covers).
- 7 sex scenes(all brief) with no nudity however 2 contain rear end male nudity afterwards. None of the sex scenes are all that expliced aside from the 3 in season 1.
- A prostitute goes down on several men in a montage sequence. No nudity.
- In a lengthy 2 minute scene Skyler gives Walt a hand job as they're in bed. No nudity.
- A man receives a hand job from his wife in a hospital this lasts about 30 seconds. No nudity.
- Walt tries to pleasure Skyler under a desk during a parent teacher conference. He stops after they're nearly caught.
- During a pull party there is a close up of a woman in a g stings bare buttocks and multiple scantily clad women.
- Jesse goes to a strip club, lasting about 2 minutes. It is a montage of the strippers and Jesse. This is in a late episode, and this is the worst nudity by far.
- A woman's bare back and buttocks are seen behind a man getting dressed this is not the focus of the scene. When the man renters the room she is laying in a different position and her pubic region can be seen.
- Some sexual dialogue and crude jokes.
Violence & Gore
- The show contains strong violence including a brutal scene where a mans throat is slit, a prison stabbing montage, a man being burnt alive, two instances of people being blown up, two instances of people being dissolved in acid and a few more scenes implying it, two decapitations(mostly off screen), people being poisoned and people attempting to poison others, a man being beaten to death shown twice, some first fights and beatens between characters and several shootings and shootouts.
- Many people are killed throughout but most are just shootings with little blood. There are some messy crime scenes with bloody imagery.
- The show has lots of violence throughout ie people being shot with blood shown. There are also about 2-3 scenes of graphic violence per season with examples such as grisly bizarre deaths and an instance of a body being dissolved in acid.
- Season 5 is the least violent season as it focuses more on tension, characters and suspense, but still contains grisly images of the after math of violence/crime scenes, a brutal prison stabbing montage and an intense bloody shootout in the finale and some other tamer acts of violence.
- The most gruesome and gory scene in the series occurs in episode two when Walt and Jesse have to disolve a dead body.
- While violence does occur, it is not the focus of the show.
- Some violence includes children with a small child being poisoned off screen, a child being shot and killed on screen, a child shooting a man to death and another child being killed off screen. It is also heavily implied younger teenagers, children and babies die in a plane crash.
- Shootings with some blood and violence.
- Middle fingers are seen a few times throughout the show.
- "Jesus", "Christ" and "Jesus Christ" are inappropriately said multiple times throughout the series.
- "Fuck" is said 14 times in Season 1 (the pilot contains 5 F-bombs and there is at least one or two F-bombs per episode of season 1), but is seldom used in the rest of the series. Once in Season 2 (episode 6), twice in Season 3 (episodes 3, 10), five times in Season 4 (episodes 2, 4, 9, 11) two are heard during a rap song, and five times in Season 5 (episodes 3, 6, 7, 14, 15) one heard during a film Walt watches with his son and another use is seen written on a note. 27 uses of "fuck" overall.
- Homophobic slur "faggot" is used once in Season 1: Episode 1. Jesse also calls Walt a "homo" a few times in the first few seasons. Racial slur "chink" is used once in Season 2. "Retard" is said twice in Season 1 and twice in Season 2. "Whore" is used once in Season 2: Episode 8, and twice in Season 3. "Skank" is heard several times and even repeated multiple times during one episode.
- "Bitch" is often used, primarily by a main character.
- Moderate amount of "hell", "damn", "ass", and "shit."
- More infrequent profanities include "goddamn" and the insults "jerk-off", "pussy", "asshole", "dick" and "prick".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Tuco Salamanca is constantly seen snorting meth from a large knife. He often engages in violent and erratic behavior whenever he is on meth.
- Jesse Pinkman is a drug addict.
- Characters are smoking cannabis, smoking/snorting methamphetamine, injecting heroin, snorting cocaine, smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol. It's all shown.
- This show will put you off the idea of drugs completely, as it shows the consequences of pervasive drug use.
- Very strong drug use and content throughout.
- It is important to state that this show delivers a very strong anti-drug message by showing the negative side effects of drugs. However, this is the reason for the show's mature rating.
- Clearly negative characters are shown to have drugs and are punished by the police for this.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The series has the main characters constantly in peril and tense situations, you wonder how characters will get out of certain situations constantly. Some people may find the show anxiety inducing.
- The show has a lot of levity and dark humour but each season gets darker as the show goes on. Overall, the tone of the series is very dark and depressing.
- This show is very stressful and there is always tension.
- The show contains high tension and some gruesome death scenes and moments of violence and some graphic drug use throughout.
- Rated TV-MA for strong brutal violence, disturbing behavior, grisly images, pervasive drug content throughout, some sexuality, language and brief nudity.
Sex & Nudity
- Walt almost assaults Skyler.
- At the end of episode 2 of season 5 it is heavily implied Walt has sex with Skyler when she doesn't want to but is to scared to say no. This isn't shown.
- During a prison stabbing montage a naked dead body is seen in a shower with blood coming from the body however the body is blurred out so no nudity is shown.
Violence & Gore
- Walt runs over 2 gang bangers with his car one dies instantly and the other lays there with a visible broken leg. Walt then shoots him in the head and blood splats onto the pavement.
- Tuco beats a henchman to death in front of Walt and Jesse. This is shown once at the very end of season 1 and is shown again in the first episode of season 2. This is very brutal.
- A body melts through a bathtub at the end of the second episode. We see the melted body, gore, bone, blood and guts burst and spill through the floor. This continues into episode 3 where we see Walt and Jesse clean it up this is extremely gory. We see lots of meat, blood and a piece of the mans skull they're seen flushing the remains of all the blood and gore down the toilet and hosing blood of themselves.
- A man watches a woman overdose on heroin.
- After a disagreement and rivalry between two characters, one creates a pipe bomb, and after it goes off, one character is shown to have half of his face blown off.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Walt watches Jesses girlfriend Jane overdose on heroin.