The Descendants (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 18 items
|MPAA||Rated R for language including some sexual references|
Sex & Nudity
- None. No sex or nudity.
- Matt's wife was cheating on him. None of the affair is shown, but it is talked about alot and it becomes a main theme of the movie.
- Alexandra wears revealing bathing suits and underwear throughout the movie. She is once seen lying face down on the beach with her bra string untied briefly (non sexual). Scottie stuffs her bra with sand, and is told to empty it promptly
- Scottie tries on some of Alexandra's underwear at one point.
- She talks about how one of her friends' dads watches porn. We see her trying to look up porn, with semi-explicit images seen (her father and sister stop her, they are all on the couch ordering movies from on demand)
- Crass sexual language is used throughout, including the use of the f-word several times in sexual context.
Violence & Gore
- Sid receives a black eye (which is seen several times) from his girlfriend's grandfather.
- Elizabeth is seen in a coma several times during the movie (emotional, and slightly disturbing).
- About 30 F-words and a dozen or so S-words.
- Around 12 religious exclamations/profanities.
- Multiple uses of "twat,"(all as derogatory put-downs; often said by Matt's daughters).
- Uses of "bitch" and "hell."
- Scottie makes an obscene hand gesture.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Alex is clearly drunk the first time we see her, and she tells her dad she's only drinking.
- Sid mentions that he always has weed with him but it's never seen.
- Social occasions involve alcoholic beverages.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- When Julie visits Matt's wife, she goes through a slightly humorous, but somewhat intense moment of tears and screaming.
- A few other emotional/intense scenes during the movie, all involving Elizabeth's coma. The scenes are not frightening but emotionally intense.