The Book of Eli (2010)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 33 items
|MPAA||Rated R for some brutal violence and language|
Sex & Nudity
- A woman pulls back her hair to reveal a low cut top to a man, however he turns her down.
- There are some attempted rape scenes, but they're stopped before anything occurs.
- Implied rape - no nudity.
- Although rape is implied and intended, it's not obvious what is occurring, and children wouldn't know what was occurring.
- There are multiple references to prostitution. One character offers her services as a prostitute "on the house," as a sexual favor. One character demands to be compensated by being given a human being- presumably as a slave.
Violence & Gore
- The movie begins panning across a dead body. It is not bloody or gory, but it is presumed that a cat begins to consume the body. The cat is killed by an arrow and gory sounds are heard as the arrow is removed.
- A dead rotting corpse is seen hanging from a noose from an apparent suicide.
- The cat killed earlier is cooked over an open flame and the main character is seen cutting pieces from the cat and consuming them as well as feeding it to a rat.
- A criminal's hand is cut off and blood spurts from the wound.
- An intense, brutal fight scene occurs between Eli and several scavengers. Some limbs are seen falling off, though the whole fight is seen as a silhouette.
- A character is stabbed in the gut slowly and deeply, no gore is seen, but the sounds are very gory.
- A man is knocked to the ground and then shot, the scene is viewed from a distance.
- A woman is attacked and presumably raped by a group of bikers, but the act is not seen.
- A man's face is slammed against a bar and we see blood coming from his nose and mouth before he falls down. Everyone in the bar then draws weapons and Eli fights several men in the bar, killing many of them. Very brutal and somewhat graphic.
- Another fight scene ensues in which there are several bloody slashings and stabbings, limbs cut off, and a decapitation.
- A woman is assualted to extract information from her daughter, the scene is not bloody.
- A man is shot in the head and blood splatters behind him.
- There is a gunfight between the main character and several other characters. Many characters are shot in the head with bloody results. There are also shootings to the body and extremeties with gory and bloody results.
- Two men attack a woman tearing at her clothes and punching her. As they are about to rape her, one man is shot through the crotch with an arrow. The other man is shot through the throat with bloody results.
- There is another gunfight scene where several different types of weapons are used. A bomb explodes and body parts are seen landing on the ground. The blast from a grenade throws a man against a truck. An RPG is fired in to a house killing an old woman with bloody aftermath. Several bad guys are shot with automatic weapon fire yielding bloody results. An old man is shot with a large caliber automatic weapon with bloody results.
- The main character is shot in the stomach, blood is seen coming from the wound at the time of the shot.
- A character is choked from behind while driving, the crash kills him and his dead body is thrown to the ground by another character. The crash also causes a large knife sitting on the dash of the truck to impale another character through the chest. He pulls the knife from his chest and we see and hear the results.
- The Total Body Count is about 43
- 13 uses of "fuck", 7 uses of "shit", 2 uses of "son of a bitch", 2 uses of "bastard", 1 use of "pussy", 1 use of "hell", 1 use of "Goddamn it", and 1 use of "damn it"(whispered).
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Some mild smoking and drinking of alcohol
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- We never see either of the attempted rape scenes. 1 is blurred in the background so we don't really get a good look at it because Eli is the main focus of the shot. The other is Eli chasing 2 men chasing a woman. Eli kills the 2 men and the woman escapes. Neither of these scenes are graphic, but they may be intense to some.
- The whole movie has an intense, somber tone, and some scenes can be surprisingly frightening/intense.
- The fight scenes are definitely intense and pretty violent, but they're relatively brief.
- There's a scene in which it's implied that a group of savage bikers gang rape a woman. (We never see this)
- The film itself largely focuses on the savage interaction between human beings in a post-apocalyptic society which can serve as a deeply disturbing premise to some.
- One scene where an old couple are revealed to be cannibals may disturb some.
- Two men attempt to rape a woman, but she escapes and Eli kills the two men.