The Hunger Games (2012)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 22 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for intense violent thematic material and disturbing images - all involving teens|
Sex & Nudity
- Several young women wear low-cut dresses that reveal bare shoulders, backs and cleavage and a few of the dresses are short and show bare legs.
- We see a young man wearing tight-fitting shorts in a video and his bare chest, abdomen and legs are shown. This is a short scene and nothing sensual.
Violence & Gore
- The start of the games is brutal. Teenagers kill each other in various ways: Stabbing, neck slitting, throwing knives, and so on, with some blood splatters and sprays visible. It is then said that half of the teens in the games are killed in this brawl. It should be mentioned that during this sequence, quick cuts and shaky shots are used, along with there being absolutely no sound, reducing the violence shown.
- Almost all of the violent scenes are off screen or cut away before anything bad is seen. We sometimes see the aftermath of violent acts but nothing too extreme.
- The opening fight of the games implies a few deaths, we briefly see blood splattered onto the ground and other objects, and throughout the games, we see open wounds (no longer bleeding) on many of the characters. A group of older teens travels as a pack and hunts down young children, there are a few just-offscreen stabs and kills. They find a teenage girl at night, alone, and we hear her screams, implying death.
- A boy's neck is snapped, and we see a few people moments after death. An arrow sticking out of a boy's chest, a poisoned girl, her skin a light blue. One girl is killed by a flying spear and pulls the weapon out of her chest before dying, and another girl is swarmed by poison wasps and is killed by them. Katniss receives burns from a forest fire, a girl is slammed into a wall, snapping her neck, Peeta and another boy roughly punch each other, Katniss also receives a knife slash across her head. An explosion is triggered. One boy in the cornucopia bloodbath gets his neck slit by another tribute. In the final battle, dog-like beasts attack Katniss, Peeta, and another boy. Katniss shoots one in the neck with an arrow to no avail. When the third boy falls into the pack, they begin eating him and tearing him apart (offscreen), and Katniss shoots him to kill him quickly, as a sort of "mercy killing"
- Video footage shows a past Hunger Games, where a boy beat someone to death with a brick. We see the beating partially, with the blood covered brick being raised into the air and brought down hard, almost out of view.
- Several uses of "hell" and "damn", both used conversationally. A few "damn you"s as well.
- Some "oh my gods".
- 5 mild obscenities, name-calling (punk, lover boy), 2 religious exclamations.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Haymitch is constantly drinking when he is on screen and we see him staggering drunk the first time we meet him. He empties a flask into his morning coffee. .
- The poison wasps cause the victim to have drug-like hallucinations.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A beating is partially glimpsed on a television, which is supposed to show the depiction of the Hunger Games' free for all methods of violence.
- Glimps at the lifeless bodies of kids killed inside of the arena
- A few jump scenes
- We see a girl covered in in wasps and all swelled up from the stings.
- Some dead children are seen, this can be hard to watch for some.
- We hear a boy scream while it is implied that he is being attacked by dog like creatures.
Sex & Nudity
- A passionate kiss between the two main characters, the scene is quite intense.
- Katniss and Peeta kiss a few times. They sleep in each other's arms.
Violence & Gore
- The Cornucopia Bloodbath scene at the start of the hunger games is very intense and quite disturbing. We see children brutally murdered by other kids, although the camera is shaky, making the gore hard to focus on. We see spearing and stabbings and blood splashing out as well as a brief leg amputation. A 12 year old boy hides and when he thinks it is safe to come out, he ambushed and has his throat slashed. We see blood, but this death is mostly offscreen.
- A young man threatening to kill another young man by snapping his neck is shot in the hand with an arrow (we see his very bloody face from a previous fight) and he falls off a shelter and onto the ground where he is mauled by three animals (he screams and pleads for help) until he is shot with another arrow. A young man kills a teen boy by twisting his neck with his bare hands (we see the boy collapse to the ground).