The Master (2012)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 34 items
|MPAA||Rated R for sexual content, graphic nudity and language|
Sex & Nudity
- At the beginning of the movie, some men mold a naked woman's body out of sand and one of them pretend to have sex with it.
- Sex and Freddie's fixation on it plays a central role in the film.
- A man and woman make out in a small room. The woman unbuttons her shirt and opens her bra to reveal her breasts.
- Several women are seen nude in a brief, non-sexual, scene. Breasts, buttocks, and pubic region. This is part of a fantasy sequence.
- A man and woman have sex nude, shown from the side. There is little thrusting but her breasts are visible for a brief amount of time.
- At one point in the movie the Master's wife gives him a handjob slightly offscreen, although some motion is noticeable. Some related dialogue.
- There are multiple images of a sand sculpture of a nude woman a man fondles it and pretends to have sex with it at the amusement of several other men.
- Freddie masturbates into the ocean in one scene, but it is seen from afar and behind him so nothing explicit is shown except his butt slightly.
- A character reveals he had an incestuous relationship with his aunt, and is shown to have had the beginnings of a relationship with a 16 year old girl that never got sexual.
- There are other sexual references scattered throughout the film.
Violence & Gore
- Several men wrestle on a beach while a group of others cheer them on.
- Freddie becomes violent, attacking cops when they arrest Dodd and later destroying the majority of his jail cell. No gore.
- Freddie attacks a man who criticized Dodd's book.
- Freddie says he killed a few Japanese soldiers during the war.
- Freddie attacks another person, but this is only heard from behind a door.
- While working in a department store and likely drunk, Quell grabs a mans' tie and they begin tussling. Freddie throws a few items. The fight ends very quickly with no gore.
- 40 uses of "f*ck"; most of them take place in one short scene.
- 4 uses of "sh*t".
- A few uses of "c*ck".
- Three uses of "p*ssy" and one use of "c*nt".
- "Wh*re" is said once.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The film opens on the protagonist drinking alcohol and smoking a cigarette while other people enjoy an activity in a separate group.
- Alcohol is served during a wedding reception, and the father of the bride appears drunk.
- Several military sailors and personnel smoke cigarettes.
- Freddie hides while drinking a few times.
- A wife makes her husband promise to stop drinking.
- Pervasive depiction of alcoholism.
- The protagonist makes all kinds of alcoholic drinks mixed with deadly toxins and drugs, such as paint thinner and some sort of crushed pill, drinks them throughout the movie, and shares with many.
- Although the film does not directly make judgments on Freddie's actions, the ravages of alcoholism are clearly shown.
- Period accurate smoking throughout the film. Very frequent.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Freddie's violent outbursts can be frightening.
- Some emotionally intense scenes.
- Freddie's drunken and sexual actions can be disturbing, particularly to those who have experienced alcoholism or have loved ones who have dealt with it.
Sex & Nudity
- The Master's wife reads a passage from an erotic novel as part of Freddie's therapy.