After Earth (2013)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 13 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for sci-fi action violence and some disturbing images|
Sex & Nudity
- A father and his teen daughter talk about Moby Dick; when she tells him that a boy had a copy of it and that he said that she could "hold onto it," the father asks "hold onto what?"
Violence & Gore
- A young boy hides and watches as his sister is attacked and quickly killed by an alien; we see the woman being thrown and slashed and eventually stabbed through the back by the alien's razor sharp talon (no blood is shown and this sequence is shown several times in flashbacks).
- An alien grabs a teen boy's leg, he falls on the ground hitting his head hard, then is thrown into a rock wall and he lies on the ground moaning and thrashing and we see a pool of blood under his hand and on his fingers; the alien approaches the boy and walks over him, then the boy slashes one of its legs off (blood sprays), the alien roars and tries to find the boy and the boy leaps on its back stabbing it with two blades in the head twice (it dies).
- We see an alien attack, where creatures with large slashing claws and sharp teeth take down several humans and one man slashes an alien across the body, killing it (the scene is dark and fast and blood is not clearly visible).
- A scanner shows something approaching a teen boy and he hides in a cave; an alien lunges toward him and shoots something sharp out of its mouth, the boy is struck in the shoulder (we see a bit of blood) and falls into water where he waits, then climbs up a rock wall, the alien grabs the boy's leg and stabs him in the leg with a sharp talon, and then falls back down the wall as the boy climbs out the top. A scanner screen shows something approaching a teen boy rapidly, the boy arms himself with a bladed weapon and waits for it; we see a baboon on a ridge above the boy and he throws a rock at it causing the baboon to screech and many others baboons to surround the boy; the baboons throw rocks at the boy, he runs and they chase him through a thick forest and nearly catch him until he jumps into a river.
- A man performs an arterial bypass on himself and we see his hands covered with blood and a bloody scalpel along with a tube attached to two bloody openings on his leg with blood passing through the tube. We see a man losing consciousness after an arterial bypass fails.
- A teen boy falls to his knees and complains of not being able to stand; he finds a leech on his hand, pulls it off (we see a bloody spot on the back of his hand) and we hear about him being affected by "toxins"; we see the boy's face and eyes swelling and he says that he cannot see while he is trying to find an anti-toxin medication; he injects himself in the heart twice (once having to fall on the syringe because his hand stopped working) and we see him recovered later.
- Tigers attack a large bird and surround its nest filled with hatchlings; a teen boy fights several of the tigers off (we see one with a hatchling in its mouth) and we see a couple of tigers falling a great distance out of the nest (presumably to their death); after the tigers leave we see the bloody remains of the hatchlings in the nest and we see the mother bird grieving over several dead hatchlings on the ground (she wails mournfully).
- Several bodies are shown impaled on a tree (branches are shown sticking through torsos). A teen boy finds two dead men impaled on tree limbs (we see blood on their faces and shirts). Bodies are shown on the ground with blood visible. A teen boy finds several dead bodies on a flying vessel (we see blood on a couple of them and the surrounding structures) after a crash landing. A teen boy helps his father with two broken legs onto a platform and when he pulls his hands away they are coated with blood. We see an X-ray of a man's broken leg; the bone is completely separated and the words "arterial stint required." A teen boy is shown lying motionless on the ground with a bloody face and head. A teen boy finds his father wounded and unconscious after a crash landing (we see blood on his head). We see a man that is missing one leg from the knee down and has a scar on his forehead; he struggles to stand and grimaces. A badly injured man struggles to stand up with help and he moans. A teen boy finds a bloody, severed baboon arm on a fallen tree trunk and we then see a pile of bloody baboon parts.
- One use of the word damn. This was an extremely clean movie for Will Smith.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- This movie has no scenes containing Moments of drug consumption, alchohol abuse, or smoking.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are several scenes in which multiple dead or dismembered corpse of animals and humans are seen. This may be disturbing for small children.
Sex & Nudity
- A woman wears a dress that reveals her bare back and shoulders in a couple of scenes (no cleavage).