Change Your Image
Upload An Image
Crop And Save
IMDb member since November 2019
Eh... Definitely a Guilty Pleasure
26 November 2019
On the contrary to some reviews, I actually quite enjoyed the movie. However, there were some parts I didn't like, and because I have fewer of those than I do likes, here we are:
- There was something very off about the acting. It was very unprofessional, but then again, that could be considered how some act in real life.
- I think that the movie was a tad bit TOO magical, and more weird and cheesy. Furniture disappearing and reappearing, people going through paintings into unknown areas.
- I didn't like the character of Sonny. Maybe it's the lure of Kira to him, but overall, he was just a boring character to me (that said, not the pazaz that John Travolta contained with ONJ).
However, there was a large variety of things I liked:
- Although Sonny (played by Michael Beck) was a boring character, I liked the chemistry that Michael, Olivia Newton-John, and Gene Kelly displayed on-screen. It made the movie magical in a good way.
- To be honest, I thought that the cartoon sequence that was made around 1980 for the movie by Don Bluth looked out of the 90s. That's incredible.
- My, oh my, the soundtrack is possibly the best music I have heard in general. Electric Light Orchestra, Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton-John -- combine all those voices and instruments together and you get something wonderful (my particular favorites happen to be "Xanadu" and "All Over the World").
- The main roller disco scene at the end is possibly my favorite movie scene of all time (possibly is the key word).
I'd also like to point out that my mom went to see this when she was 11 in 1980. She loved the music, but like me, she didn't like the fact that it didn't make too much sense. However, on an aspect of disco movies from 1979-1980, I would, for sure, say that Xanadu is by far my favorite guilty pleasure out of all the choices.
See more▼See less▲