They Live (1988)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 22 items
Sex & Nudity
- No sex, and one brief instance of nudity, as mentioned earlier. Mainly rated R for action violence and language.
- At the end of the movie there is a bare breasted woman who's apparently, though it is not graphic, at it.
- At the 1:30:26 mark of the movie (basically right before it ends), they show a scene of a bare-breasted woman (close up) on top of a man (alien) having sex. It cuts away to the TV in their room, then back to the woman (she still is having sex) for her reaction of the alien. The scene lasts for approximately 11 seconds.
- At the very end of the movie you see a women's bare breasts for about 5 seconds. It is the last scene before the end credits. The scene is seen briefly, then cuts away for a moment to a TV screen, then cuts back on the screen again briefly before the credits roll. It comes at around 1:30:00 in the film.
Violence & Gore
- There's a large shootout in the rebel base when attackers raid it. Blood spurts can be seen when people are shot. Some people fall and convulse. Blood spatters on walls behind several victims.
- One character is hit with a bottle and falls out of a window.
- One man is shot point-blank in the head, but the scene cuts away before he is short, the gun shot can only be heard.
- There's a massive final shootout in a TV station building, in which many aliens are shot and killed by the two main characters. Blood spurts can be seen.
- A man enters a bank with several guns, and goes on a shooting spree, killing several aliens.
- There's an extended and brutal fistfight sequence in middle of film. Lasts over five minutes.
- Nada brutally takes down two cop aliens in an alley, and shoots them.
- About 10 uses of 'f**k', 3-4 uses of 'shit', 5-6 uses of the word 'ass' (one is used as 'asshole'), and 2 uses of 'bitch'.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Guy smoking weed
- Smoking cigarettes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The long final shootout in the TV station is intense.
- The rebel hideout shootout is intense and violent.
- The last half of the movie is very intense. Many people are shot and killed, both humans and aliens.
- The extended fist fight scene is pretty brutal, though it's not too intense.
- The 18 rating in the UK is outdated and this film could be seen as the low end of a 15 with the only bad things being little to no blood, 5 seconds of nudity which can be easily skipped and one or two uses of fuck.
- The faces of impostor humans look like gruesome skulls with eyes which may be frightening to some.
- The alley fight scene with the cops is very brutal and intense.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The two main characters are both shot and killed at the end of the film, and they sacrifice themselves to save everyone. The death of Roddy Piper's character may be intense for some viewers.