How I Met Your Mother (2005–2014)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 40 items
Sex & Nudity
- There's implied fellatio between Marshall & Lilly during season 2's "Showdown" and season 9's "Unpause," although nothing is shown
- Barney is a womanizer, having slept with over 300 women by shows end
- Actresses, including the leads, frequently wear tops that expose a lot of cleavage.
- Many scenes insinuate that some of the characters have just engaged in sex.
- Many visits to strip clubs and mentions of casual sex.
- Mentions of different sexual positions and people of whom the characters have "hooked up with" or "banged."
- Friends with benefits is mentioned when two of the characters try it.
- Many mentions of masturbation.
- Also mentions of when the characters lost their virginity.
- Some brief sex scenes where no nudity or actual sex is shown, but there may be brief sexual sounds made.
- In one episode several men are seen naked. No genitalia is shown, but can be a bit lengthy.
- There are many euphemisms used for sexual content.
- Innumerable sexual references, including innuendos and sexual humor, some examples:
- Season 1, episode 9: Shows three main characters at a strip club where we see scantily clad strippers with a lot of skin showing dancing sexually.
- Season 2, episode 1: A couple is portrayed to be laying in bed naked, we can tell by the bare shoulders that our uncovered by the blanket. In another scene, a woman runs through the house in just a man's T-shirt. The same couple is shown naked together in the shower where we see both of them from the side. Her arms cover her breasts. In another scene, they go to a strip club, and women are shown wearing hardly anything, dancing on stage, with other characters, and walking around.
- Season 2, episode 16: Shows female strippers on two different occasions which are shown dancing sexually in lingerie. A lot of sexual references and innuendos.
- Season 2, episode 19: Entire episode revolves around a "battery-powered adult recreational fake penis."
- Season 5, episode 2: Some main characters sit in a strip club, and women are shown scantily clad with a lot of skin showing, dancing sexually, and walking around. In another scene, a scantily clad UPS girl delivers a package, and he is made fun of for not fantasizing about other women besides his wife, so he tries.
- Season 5, episode 6: A person makes a euphemism for "fuck" and says "bagpipes" instead when his neighbors make too much noise while having sex.
- Season 6, episode 6: Main characters visit a strip club.
- Season 7, episode 17: A couple is said to have made a sex tape. A woman starts making sexual movements and noises, trying to get another man to watch it.
Violence & Gore
- Throughout the show, characters slap each other as part of a bet.
- Mild (occasionally brutal) comical violence.
- A couple of bar fights that are mild and brief.
- References to 'girl fights' and brief shots are shown.
- A few episodes where a character is punched in the face or groin area.
- Frequent uses of "bitch," "slut," "whore," "ass," "hell," "damn," "douche," and "bastard."
- Many slang terms for sex.
- Characters make frequent jokes about penises, vaginas, and masturbation.
- A euphemism for the middle finger.
- A euphemism for "Holy shit."
- A euphemism for "cunt."
- Many euphemisms for "fuck."
- There is a scene where a person gets punched in the nose and inaudibly says "fuck."
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Alcohol is consumed by the main characters in every episode.
- The main characters are drunk in some episodes.
- There is infrequent smoking and references to teenage drinking.
- A euphemism for marijuana, which is the main plot point of many episodes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There may be the odd intense or frightening scene, but usually has a very comedic overtone.
Violence & Gore
- At one point a main character is stabbed with a sword and in another instance the same character gets hit in the eye with a champagne cork, but in both instances nothing is shown, just implied.